Monday, April 4, 2011

My Overflowing Brain

This past weekend I had the opportunity to volunteer at the Whidbey Island Writers Conference. I'm so happy the conference is up and running again. We met in Coupeville this year, and I had a great time feeding my writing soul with words from amazing writers like Garth Stein, Mandy Hubbard, Michele Torrey, Deb Lund, and many more.

We had a great fireside chat in a beautiful house overlooking Lake Pondella where Mandy Hubbard told us of her journey and amazing perseverance in getting her first novel published (something I needed to hear). Michele Torrey talked about theme (a favorite subject). She read the first paragraph of several books so we could hear the voice of each work. She has a great reading voice! Deb Lund brought out the actors in us all as she used her great collection of cards to find ideas for story direction and act out emotions. I love this because writing does have to get the heart and emotional level of the character.

I'm back recharged and ready to go again. I love my Whidbey connection. I cannot believe it's been ten years since I first volunteered. Back then, I wasn't even sure what genre I wanted to write in. Deep down I knew I needed to write fiction, but I was terrified to even admit that to myself. My journey thus far has taken me where I never thought I would go. I can't wait to see what the next ten years bring! 

No comments:

Post a Comment