Sunday, June 7, 2009

Finding Voice

The project I’m currently working on started out as a screenplay. Over the winter I struggled with the story and the characters. I ended up making many changes. Finally, I found a path and things started to fall into place.

At first I thought the process of converting a screenplay into a novel would be easier than simply starting from scratch. The screenplay emphasizes plot and dialogue. I knew my novel would need a lot more detail. The first person point of view emerged. At this point, I began my search for voice. The writer’s voice, certainly, but I also needed to find the main character’s voice. Today, about 30 pages into the draft, the voice emerged.

It got me to think about the concept of voice. Here’s my thoughts: voice makes writing sing; voice makes a story compelling; voice makes a work unique.
The DNA of story.

I cannot force voice, however. It has to emerge and take on a life of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment