Monday, June 29, 2009

Playing with Characters

I saw an awesome play last night at the Grange. Waiting for MacArthur by Paullette MacDougal. Some of my favorite actor friends from Orcas performed, so the acting was, of course, the best. The play itself stunned me; MacDougal's ability to take four characters and have them develop in believable and amazing ways was wonderful to watch.

As a writer, I get caught up in my characters' lives, and in the back of my mind I have to ask myself, "does this character show change?" and "is it believable?" These are important questions. Sometimes, the writing flows and the character change just happens. My own experiences must help here. Other times, I have to push them along and encourage them to change.

Yet, isn't change a challenge we all face? We must be willing to change and find the courage to show change in our characters' lives as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment